Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sailor Jerry


I was doing research for my Baltimore project and stumbled upon a Baltimore Tattoo Museum that I never knew about before. I read into it and they are a functioning tattoo parlor and have a huge exhibit of tattoos, including Sailor Jerry. Last year a small group of us went to Philly to visit Gyro Worldwide, the ones responsible for turning Sailor Jerry and his tattoos into a brand.
A little bit about the brand from Gyro's website>> "Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins is a legend. He's the Elvis Presley of tattooing. And Sailor Jerry Ltd is a Super iconic American brand that has the potential to one day sit along side the likes of Jack Daniels, Harley Davidson and Levis.
And, the best part about it is, GYRO 100% owns the brand (in conjunction with the heirs of Sailor Jerry's estate). We started Sailor Jerry from scratch back in 1999 and have grown it into a multi-category lifestyle brand that makes everything from jeans, to jewelry, to glassware- we've even done some very successful licensing deals with Converse to make shoes and William Grant and Son's to make Sailor Jerry Rum."
After we visited Gyro, we all went to the Sailor Jerry store located below their studio. We took all the catalogs and cards laying around and browsed at all the clothing. There were definitely some pieces that I loved and wanted, but obviously being a college student couldn't afford. I don't feel like im edgy enough to rock Sailor Jerry, but I wish I was (I want to pull off the tiger dress... maybe there's hope?) I love the idea of what Gyro has made Sailor Jerry into, I think making a brand out of a guy's tattoos is such a cool concept. And, not only is it a clothing line it has developed into a brand of rum, it seems limitless.

No comments: