Monday, September 24, 2007

just when you think you're finished...




I thought I had finished my label project weeks ago, the only lingering thing was printing them out and finding the right bottles for dressing. Today, I spent an hour in the salad dressing, marinade, sauce aisle with jr picking and choosing between bottle shapes and the dressings that came in them. I obviously was trying to make this as cheap as possible and figured out that it was cheaper to buy the 3 bottles that I liked the shape of and then purchase 2 dressing in a different brand to fill the bottles with (luckily one was already a good match). It was actually much more complicated than that, but it is impossible to explain the extent of the salad dressing, bottle choosing extravaganza. The next feat was to transfer the right dressings into the right bottles and soak the labels off. The labels wouldn't budge, so my uncle, grandmother, and I sat on my deck scrubbing with sponges and exacto blades with windex, cider vinegar, nail polish remover and soft scrub. I'm sure they travelled all the way from Scotland to help me do this (hahaha) but, regardless it was very nice for them to help and I would have been there forever otherwise. After they were finally cleaned, I measured the new dimensions and completely redesigned them!! It actually worked out for the best because I think I got them to a better place than they were before (and I thought they were finished!). The bottles also gave me a new element to design, which I think it needed.

LESSON LEARNED: buy the bottles first and THEN design around it. (but maybe not entirely because then maybe I would have never redesigned them?)

No comments: