Monday, October 1, 2007

NYC on thursday!



Thursday was our first NY trip of the year and a pretty good one at that. Last minute, Rosie, Jessie, Alex, Laurel and I got invited to the juniors visit to see JP Williams at Design MW (YAY!). All of their work was very smart and very detailed, everything was thought about down to the littlest touches (for example having red edges of the pages on a six feet under book). I think 2 huge things that I would learn from being at a place like that is paper choice and type. I still have so much to learn about everything, but those two things alone make their work wonderfully wonderful. JP Williams talked about his creative process, which is always interesting to hear how people work. He said he starts with images and visuals and also by looking in the dictionary. At the end of the talk he mentioned that we could contact him to critique our work...might have to take him up on that offer! (...and then rework everything I've ever done).
We had the rest of the day free to do as we please! I went to Pearl River Market with the girls and it was totally inspiring. It was perfect for the sushi project that I have been working on. I ended up buying a sushi making kit, wooden chopsticks, and some really nice oriental patterned brown paper. Next on the list was some fashion inspiration at forever 21, where I got 2 new shirts and a pair of earrings. Rosie and I really wanted to get our hair cut next, I was totally ready to chop off my hair that I have been growing for over a year! It didn't work out because everywhere we ran into was completely booked or cost like $200 (which we weren't exactly prepared to do). We also stopped in Sephora for some packaging inspiration (and to test out their makeup and perfume, of course). The one thing I knew I wanted to do ahead of time in the city was go to the paper stores, I was in desperate need of nice paper! I ran out of the paper I bought in the city last semester and have been dieing to get more. Rosie and I trekked up to 18th street to Paper Access, where I wanted to buy THEE ENTIRE STORE! anyways, Rosie and I bought some paper and decided we would split white and off white because we couldn't decide. I also got these clear labels that I had been asking my brother to get for me from Virginia Tech because that's the only place I had ever seen them before. We were pretty close to where the bus picks us up and didn't feel like heading back downtown again, so we stopped in one last hair place and asked where we could grab some food and drink. We had some oktoberfest and had our first experience of sliders! (they were mini burgers, can you believe that? we thought they were a drink special).
All in all it was a very good, cheap day in new york (minus the paper purchase).

No comments: